Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:32:23

Hello David

"In Don Dykin's booklet about Europa aerodynamics he says that the flaps
take just about half of the plane's weight at top flap speed. With
aerodynamic forces increasing with speed squared I wouldn't want to rely
on
the flaps not failing before the wings, which have been tested to 10g
after
all!"

Were the XS short wings really tested and held up to 10 Gs, or was it
closer to 6 before failure?

I think the glider wings are stronger, and perhaps 10 on them?

What I was getting at, is with flaps down you have a wing that kinda sorta
has 30 degrees washout. Go much faster than max flap extension speed and
the tips are pushing through at a negative angle of attack, and the area
near flaps at a positive angle of attack. The net needs to be enough to
keep the plane in the air. There is this twisting and each half of the
wing fighting each other that is a very awkward.

Can this fight I speak of overload the wing in the middle and break it?
Can this fight I speak set up for flutter and break it?
Can this fight I speak of set up flutter in the ailerons?
Will the flaps flutter and depart?
will the flaps overload the attachments and depart?

Don't know exact, but the drag and lift bars double convinced that
exceeding max. flap down speed is not a good idea, evil begins full
hearted when you do.

Ron Parigoris