Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:13:19
I suggest there are several golden rules here:

1. Never, ever, exceed the Never Exceed Speed of 165 kts. (Question
for better aerodynamicists than me: should this be taken as 165 RAS
since that is the direct indication of the aerodynamic load?? In
practice, the big red line on the IAS scale is what we abide by in
practice.)

2. Be super gentle pulling out of a Vne speed dive (eg as we have to
do for Permit renewal in the UK - not sure whether there's an
equivalent routine flight test elsewhere). That means plenty of
height so that a modest positive g force will recover to straight and

level flight with plenty to spare.

3. Abide by Va (97kts for Europa) and Vno 131 kts for Europa) and Vfe

(83 kts for Europa) limitations (definitions below):

VA
design maneuvering speed (stalling speed at the maximum legal G-
force, and hence the maximum speed at which abrupt, full deflection,
control inputs will not cause the aircraft to exceed its G-force
limit). Maneuvering speed is limited by aircraft structural
characteristics.

VNO
maximum structural cruising speed (the maximum speed to be used in
turbulent conditions) or can refer to the velocity of normal
operation. VNO is specified as the upper limit of the green arc on
many airspeed indicators. This speed is specific to the aircraft
model. The range above VNO is marked on the airspeed indicator as a
yellow arc from VNO to the VNE

VFE
Max speed for flap extension

4. Be wary of Brochure performance claims.

Willie Harrison G-BZNY