Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:39:59

Jim and all,

> I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed
(TAS).  According to Derek Piggotts Gliding text,  it is important to limit
indicated
airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed.  Otherwise
there may be risk of flutter and structural failure.

Correct

> My XS Owners Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1).

165 kt TAS at 100% power and MTOW is a respectable speed indeed. Has
anyone on the list performed accurate measurement of TAS on his Europa
(three GPS routes with recorded weight and OAT, etc.) ?

> Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise speed for 914 at 10000 ft

151 kt TAS cruise ( @ 75% power) at MTOW is also a very very respectable
speed, even at 10000 ft. But these are 'brochure numbers'.
I would be much interested in real world numbers.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr