Re: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:58:27

Salut Rmi and all,

Been much too busy those past few days.
Slowly catching up on the cooling conversation. Many valuable inputs indeed.

> ... Therefore they do not provide a lot of air flow where the air
> inlets are located. On the other hand, most MCR are using the MT prop
> whose design is just the opposite: very wide blades at the root and a
> lot of twist which is a lot more effective ventilator.

True. Now this is much less of an issue when the inlet is located far
---From the propeller center line,at the bottom of the cowl, for instance.

> My own fix for the Europa cowling is a variable air scoop, below the
> existing inlet, ahead of the radiator. Theoretically it is very bad,
> but it works! It works because this additional inlet is located
> farther from the propeller axis, therefore receiving more air flow.
> Sure this adds a lot of drag, but who cares about drag during taxi
> and run-up?  The scoop is positioned back to neutral just before take
> off and can be closed to blank the radiators at cruise and descent at
> cold temperatures.

I wanted to be sure to build up as much static pressure in the intake to
cool efficiently, and still have enough pressure left after crossing the
radiator, to exit at as high a velocity as practical. The goal was to
cool and still achieve lower drag.

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr