RE: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 07:47:50

In re: water spray

It's been a long time since I studied heat transfer but I recall enough of
the principles (if  not the details) to know that there are a couple of
conflicting factors with this proposal.  On the plus side, a fine mist of
water  will provide some evaporative cooling, since the phase change from
liquid to gas will remove much more heat than liquid water flowing through
the air spaces in the "radiator" (a heat exchanger in engineering speak).
Also on the plus side is the fact that heat transfer to water is more
efficient than heat transfer to air.  So far, so good.  The big negative
here is the impediment to air flow - put any amount of water in the spaces
where the air is supposed to flow and less air can flow resulting in less
efficient cooling.  It's worth a try but I expect that spraying water will
cause coolant temperature to rise not fall.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070
Airframe complete