RE: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cooling diffuser
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:34:03

Ron:

I have changed the intake nostrils on  the cowl to the 914 and have had
very good luck with keeping it cool in the AZ heat.  The original round
configuration has the exhaust headers centered in the hole without much
view of the  cylinder fins.  I opened up each hole to the inboard side
about 1 inch having the radius decrease as it got closer to the inboard
side.  Now each nostril is egg shaped with a commanding view of each
cylinder fin bank.  Special pains were made to extend the  lip of the  new
portion of the  hole inside of the cowling to avoid having the  air spill
off of  the  inside edge and  become turbulent.  The length of the edge
toward the innermost side of each hole is about an inch deep.  It makes for
good airflow toward the  cylinder fins and presents a good appearance from
the outside.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ