Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Flow transducer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Flow transducer
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:17:36

Paul,
ST Aviation also offer the alternative of a Floscan sender with their fuel
computer.
If your sender is the same as ST's standard offering, then 'good luck and
stick to Avgas'. There has been one Europa forced landing (='crash', see
AAIB reports) due to the use of one of these particular sensors
(rust/magnetite particles accumulated on the magnets in the sensor, causing
further restriction to the fuel flow) despite a filter being present
upstream. Even without the restrictor jet, the internal bore of the device
is only about 4mm (i.e. the internal step that the jet would sit on, not the
1/4" quoted for the ID of the  inlet stub).

 PFA Inspectors aren't cleared to sign-off major mods, the definition of
which include such changes to the fuel system, see:
http://www.pfa.org.uk/Engineering%20pdfs/Mods%20and%20Repairs/TL%203.09%20Classification%20of%20Mods%20and%20Repairs.pdf

 I also know that PFA Engineering have been less than happy about the use of
one of these sensors on a Jabiru Rans S6; I think this may by now be
cleared. But 80hp only, Avgas usage and much lower 'landing' energy might
have been a consideration in this.

Duncan McF.