Re: Europa-List: RE: Help Required from our American Friends

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Help Required from our American Friends
From: Tom Friedland <96victor@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:56:42
On 11/1/06, Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would be careful about who you are getting these answers from.
> Different FSDO offices are notorious for interpreting rules
> differently. Ask them to cite the FAR where this requirement is spelled
> out. Check the regs for yourself. They are all available online. If the
> FAR is vague, call EAA or contact an office higher up the chain,
> perhaps an office in Washington, DC.
>
> I am not aware of any regulation that says the 51% must be performed
> within the U.S. As far as I know, the only requirement is that the
> aircraft must be inspected by a FAA authorized inspector. Does the fact
> that your aircraft is already registered in a foreign country prevent
> you from registering it in the U.S? I doubt it, but unless someone can
> show you where it says you can't, you have to assume that you can.
>

> --- Alan Burrows <alan@kestrel-insurance.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys
> >

> > The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished
> > glider
> > wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful
> > FAA. I
> > have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental
> > aircraft
> > built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There suggestion was to
> > completely
> > dismantle the aircraft and have it rebuilt in America of at least 51%
> > of it.
> > Obviously this is a ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way
> > for me
> > to import the aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be
> > appreciated
> > as we plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my
> > aircraft with me if at all possible.
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >

> > Alan
> >

> Andrew Sarangan
> http://www.sarangan.org
>

> Hi Alan

Something is screwy.  There are lots of experimental aircraft that are built
in other countries and fly in the USA.  In fact, Thomas (last name excapes
me) that flew around the world in his Europa is presently flying in
California and it was built in Germany!  As Andrew said, check with another
FSDO.  If you continue to have trouble, I will try to help by contacting
some here.

Tom Friedland, XS Mono, Washington State.