Re: Europa-List: RE: Help Required from our American Friends

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Help Required from our American Friends
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:29:12

I would be careful about who you are getting these answers from.
Different FSDO offices are notorious for interpreting rules
differently. Ask them to cite the FAR where this requirement is spelled
out. Check the regs for yourself. They are all available online. If the
FAR is vague, call EAA or contact an office higher up the chain,
perhaps an office in Washington, DC.

I am not aware of any regulation that says the 51% must be performed
within the U.S. As far as I know, the only requirement is that the
aircraft must be inspected by a FAA authorized inspector. Does the fact
that your aircraft is already registered in a foreign country prevent
you from registering it in the U.S? I doubt it, but unless someone can
show you where it says you can't, you have to assume that you can.

--- Alan Burrows <alan@kestrel-insurance.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>

> The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished
> glider
> wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful
> FAA. I
> have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental
> aircraft
> built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There suggestion was to
> completely
> dismantle the aircraft and have it rebuilt in America of at least 51%
> of it.
> Obviously this is a ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way
> for me
> to import the aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be
> appreciated
> as we plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my
> aircraft with me if at all possible.
>
> Many Thanks
>

> Alan

Andrew Sarangan