Re: Europa-List: First flight LN-SKJ

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First flight LN-SKJ
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:18:29

Svein
In fact there will be less risk of flutter, or more correctly "short
period oscillation". The boundary layer at the trailing edge is thick,
maybe 20 or 30mm? (guess) Flutter is caused by resonance, the aileron
bouncing against the stable part of the airflow. The gurney flap, maybe
it should be called a single side Flettner Strip, bites into the
streamlined airflow sooner than the plain trailing edge.
This was exactly why the full flettner strip on the elevator trim tab
cured the short period oscillation of the elevator. Ivan and I found it
on an early flight in G-YURO, I let go the stick a fraction of a second
before Ivan took hold, with a little bit of stick force. Very odd feeling!
I know what you mean about Navaids rattling on the ground. Never did
understand it though,