Re: Europa-List: Usable Fuel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Usable Fuel
From: RoddyEuropa@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:25:48
Something to be aware of is that you could get fuel starvation when you
change attitute from level to climb if there is not much fuel in whatever side
of
the tank you are drawing fuel from. This is because the tank is square shaped
 at the bottom, and the fuel outlet is at the front.

So take the following scenario: you are landing with an almost empty main
'tank', but a couple of gallons in the reserve. All is fine because your
approach attitude is level or slightly nose down. Then you have to go around -
nose
up, the fuel goes to the back of the tank, and the engine gets  starved of
fuel just when you needed it most!

Because of this, if I'm close to having to change to reserve when getting
close to landing, I change to the reserve tank a few minutes before  landing.

Roddy Kesterton