RE: Europa-List: Usable Fuel (with 914)

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Usable Fuel (with 914)
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:02:23

In order consume all usable fuel, can a 914 fuel pump self prime dry with
a 9 inch suction head pulling through ~ 1.5 meters of dry 8mm fuel line?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Have a question on usable fuel with a 914. Lets take worst case, where you
run main tank dry (port) and switched to reserve (starboard) (flying in
turbulence / being rolled).

After a while, perhaps you run reserve 1/2 down, you choose to see if you
can scavenge some precious fuel that flopped over to the main tank and run
it dry. My return line goes to reserve.

My question has to do with dry suction head ability of the Pierburg fuel
pump, (or pumps) to self prime in such a scenario.

Because I am foolish enough to be using 2 Andair 375 Gasculators that will
be located just aft of the trail edge of the wing (fair easy access), when
fuse is level, that puts the in side hose to the gasculators at ~ 225mm
above fuel level in my scenario. My fuel pumps will be at or slight below
out of gasculators. Raising the nose will reduce dry suction head height.

Anyone do dry suction head self prime testing?

Pierburg states 500mm max suction head, but with wet input.
Rotax states 250mm max suction head but does not say wet or dry.

Thx.
Ron Parigoris