RE: Europa-List: panel

Subject: RE: Europa-List: panel
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:18:37

Your panels sound a little different to mine in that my left panel has
all the flight instruments and the right all the avionics. The only
flight instruments which were heavy enough to need extra support were
the electric artificial horizon and DI. For these I made a small
aluminium bracket support mounted to the base of the main panel with a
foam layer on top. As these 2 instruments were one above the other I
transferred this support by jamming a pad of foam in between them. For
the right panel I used the racks supplied by each of the avionics
manufacturers. They were arranged as a vertical stack with the correct
spacing to give a minimum clearance between boxes. Two side plates were
riveted on to make all the racks one box structure. An aperture in the
main panel was cut to suite and the completed rack was bolted to the GRP
panel. I found the neatest way to do this was to fill the uneven gaps
between the rack and the main panel with Redux filler, drill both the
rack and the filler with the rack in position for perfect line up and
then fix inserts in to the filler so that the rack could be directly
bolted to the main panel. Be sure to cover the appropriate parts of the
rack with insulating tape when applying the filler so that it can be
removed easily after it sets.

Although this does not directly answer your specific question I thought
it might be helpful to others. From what you indicate it is likely that
the avionics items are the only ones deep enough to need support behind
the panel. Although they may not be very heavy the effects of 'g'
the inside of the main panel might be a sensible solution.

I hope this helps.

Nigel Charles