Re: Europa-List: Nose gear assembly twisted

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nose gear assembly twisted
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:05:28

Thanks for your reply Dean

All,

additionally to the misaligned nose gear assembly I discovered an additional
misalignment due to the way the landing gear is mounted.  I will get another
1/2 deg of a twist to the left bringing the total out of alignment to aprox.
1.5 deg. Now I wonder what others would do (or have done). After looking
into this a little further and thinking on how to correct this I came up
with 3 possible solutions.

1. Forget about it and life with the error thinking this would be within
tolerance.The plane should pull then always a little to the left.

2. Fix it by applying careful heat and separate the assembly. Clean the
adhesive off and rebond  the nose gear leg back into place with everything
properly aligned. Then redrill at the rear bushing at 90 deg to the original
orientation. The front bushing could be drilled in a 45 deg orientation. The
question here would be if this would harm the integrity of the nose leg and
what adhesive to use.

3. Order a new nose gear assembly. (that would still leave the 1/2 deg off
due to the landing gear frame mounting)

I would appreciate the feedback and comments from others.

Michael Grass
A266 Trigear
Detroit