RE: Europa-List: Nose gear assembly twisted

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Nose gear assembly twisted
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:47:42

Hi! Michael
I can't afford such luxuries as powder coating!
No such bonding on my nose wheel yoke just the Mickey Mouse Roll pin and
the shaft only uses about 1" of penetration when there's available metal
for about 2" PLUS. This alone would have supplied more rigidity.
What makes you think the shaft is bonded into place. Whatever even if it
were bonded there's not enough shear strength in a 1/4" roll pin against
a 1/2" fine threaded castellated nut being tightened. .......and I'm not
aware of any process that welds steel to aluminium !
IMHO don't mess with your life replace the roll pin with a high tensile
bolt before next flight. Then watch for a mod!
On the alignment since the nose wheel castors I can't imagine the
alignment is worth bothering with unless you are a fanatic and notice
every time you walk round the a/c!

Regards
Bob H G-PTAG  Sick Europa MKI/ Sick Jabiru 3300!