Re: Europa-List: First Flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First Flight
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:04:18

>N159HR Europa Tri-Gear owned by John Kershner made its first flight
>yesterday

Congratulations to John, and thanks Bob for the posting of full details.

>A couple of weeks ago I reported the first flight for Richard Parzoch

>Although the aircraft did
>not have any fill work done he did report a take off roll about 500 to 600
>feet and climb rate of 1250 fpm at 70 kts

Do I understand right? The aircraft was flown without any filling,
profiling and painting? So the control surfaces are just raw glass as
laid-up?

If my understanding is correct I find this very surprising. How did
he get it signed off for flight? Not only are the aerodynamics
compromised with macro & micro roughness on the surfaces, but they
are not protected at all from UV damage. Also, if the ailerons have
been balanced for flight in this condition (and for safety they
should have been), they will need re-balancing after filling,
profiling & painting. I hope Richard intends to get the surfaces
finished and UV-protected as soon as possible.

regards

Rowland