Europa-List: Oil Thermostat mod

Subject: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat mod
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:33:24

Mike Parkin wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Do you have details of this approved Mod and the
> particular model of thermostat approved.
>
> I spoke to Francis Donaldson earlier in the year about
> the introduction of an oil thermostat, he wasn't too
> encouraging, so I gave up the idea as I have wasted too
>  many heartbeats trying to overcome the PFA Mod Scheme
> red tape.

This is typical of the PFA. The oil thermostat mod was
approved "for all aircraft of this type" on 26 Feb 1999.
Yes really ! Donaldson gave me all that brush off as well,
as did Beale. Not quite true they gave slight pointers but
didn't actually mention the PFA/Europa type mod. Beale did
tell me about the aircraft he built with the mod (G-MIKI)
which he used without ANY mod from the PFA (Just a "by the
way I have put this on" note with the original permit
application !)

It uses a Mocal OT/1 thermostat which has to have its
connection pipes bored out to 10 mm. It can be done ! The
thermostat is available from Think Auto for about 23 plus
VAT but I got mine from Avonbar at Takeley near Stansted
for 14.95 plus VAT (less 5% for on-line). I collected it
! Less than 10 miles away.

Phone the PFA office and ask the girl there in the
Engineering Section for details of mod 10179 and a form SF9.

Or just ask for the details. The form is available on the
web-site.

There are also two lists on the web site

TL 3.06 which is some guff and a list of "Standard Mods"
TL 3.07 which is some more (similar) guff and a list of
mods "approved for all of type".

Read, I won't say "enjoy" !

Under the scheme, approved for all of type, you can
install, have it inspected by your PFA inspector and then
fill in the form SF9 and sent it to the PFA. No money, no
nothing ! No red tape there once you have cut through the
cr*p and got the information in the first instance.

I would recommend that EVERYBODY list off TL 3.06 and TL
3.07. At least 1/3 of each list is for Europas. The
remainder is for another 15 or so PFA types ! Europas are
prodigious here - and there are more of them !

To be fair to the PFA the information is now available on
the web-site and it can easily be acessed. Donaldson
couldn't be expected to remember all of them, although he
could perhaps have looked it up !

All we need now is a similar approved mod for a water
thermostat (it is available from Franz in Germany) and
Europas will run at 80 - 85 indicated water and oil in all
conditions. A ramp can be built in the lower cowling to
redirect all the air through the coolers and the
thermostats will control the amount of fluids going
through the coolers and thus the amount of cooling
applied. Note I say "indicated' as the temp sensor for the
oil is AFTER the cooler and the actual temperature in the
oil tank will be more. But of course you need the oil to
reach 100 degrees for a bit sometimes to boil off any
water. Job done :-)

HTH

Richard
G-WWW - Europa Tri-Gear - Kit 51 - High Cross