Europa-List: Technical question - master switch

Subject: Europa-List: Technical question - master switch
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:46:21

Hi Team - a question for you to ponder

As a part of my plan to redo my panel I have
bought a "Cessna Split Master switch" red, as per Cessnas
and Pipers.

I was wondering whether anyone who has used one has any
commments about their reliability, and whether or not
relays were used.

I say that because in the Cessna application the battery
side operates a relay (< 1 amp) and the alt side switches
the field windings of the alternator (max 2 - 3 amps)

If this switch is used on the Europa (Rotax) to switch the
full flowing current (max 19 amps for the alt and maybe as
much as 25 for the battery) but is only designed for 2 or
3 it is likely to fail. Unless of course it is
over-engineered !

I have seen this switch in some Europas but I have no idea
whether they use relays. (To be honest I am not sure that
the alt side can be relayed anyway).

All your thoughts would be much appreciated. My existing
battery and alt switches are two pole toggle switches,
with a 15 amp capacity on each pole, wired in parallel.

Hope this generates some bandwidth !

TIA

Richard