Europa-List: Future Europa Powerplant

Subject: Europa-List: Future Europa Powerplant
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:13:59

  Heres another one of those pie in the sky type future
powerplants that may actually happen.  Unfortunately, its
got one big problem - it is too light!  Extremely interesting
diesel rotary fires 24 times each revolution.  Not a Wankel.
No pistons, cylinders, connecting rods, or valves.  Received
NASA funding in 1999 thru Phase 1 development but was a
victim of budget cuts.
  Its still being actively developed initially for military UAV
application.  They have a working 42 hp proto.  The 150 hp
version weighs only 55 lbs bare without gearbox, cooling
system or accessories.  They say its so quiet it doesn't need
a muffler.  They've had some problems with sealing (kind of
like the problems with the original Mazda wankel) but seem
to be getting those worked out.  The 150 hp version is
probably 5 years away minimum so we have plenty of time
to stretch our cowlings.
  A very innovative 2 place sport aircraft has been developed
(but not built) around the 150 hp version.  This was a joint
project between Loughborough Univ (UK) and Virginia Tech
(US and was the NASA SATS Contest winner in 2002.  They
used the Europa as one of the performance benchmarks and
the a/c has a very similiar performance envelope although looks
quite different.  It is a SSTOL 2 place tandem trailerable design
with about the same cruise and top speed as the Europa.
They have an fascinating and (mostly) not too technical
downloadable report at this site:

http://www.aoe.vt.edu/design/ikelos/
Ikelos Hope Page

There is a 11 page technical article on the engine
in Appendix C.  This is a most interesting and
comprehensive report (226 pgs!) on a/c design
and all the factors and compromises that go into
a new machine.  Everything you wanted to know
about Longitudinal Stability and Control Derivatives
but were afraid to ask!  I must have played hooky
the day we covered this stuff in high school
physics class!

The Canadian company developing the engine
is at this site:

http://www.regtech.com/
Reg/Regi Technologies Inc.

                   Glenn