Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:09:08

Interestingly, the owner of G-KIMM oiled his TP bearings. The excess oil
formed a nice dribble down the outside of the fuselage. After a flight there
were numerous streaks formed aftwards from the dribble. These streaks showed
disturbed flow close to the underside of the fus./TP junction, indicative of
the leakage and disruption that occurs through this gap, as one would
expect. I haven't heard that anyone came up with an effective way of sealing
this, and wouldn't expect to see it approved in the UK. Although merely
infilling the internal rebate on the root of the TP may discourage flow of
air through this gap; perhaps someone in the US could find out!

Duncan McF.