Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:49:38

Fred

I found help looking at pages like this.
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/textindex.htm

After building as careful as I could, I decided that gap seals on the ailerons
would not be of much help. My fit is very close and works smoothly.

Now on your rudder you might need some help if you don't use a 48" hinge like I
did.  On the flaps, I think something might help, but remember they are slotted
/fowler flaps and must vent air when deployed. The gap seal would only be active
when the flaps are up and mine fit nearly as tight as my ailerons.  I have
not installed any glider type gap seals.

A note here, I did close-out all the ends of my control surfaces smoothly fining
in the void after the regular close-out. I think this makes for less air
turbulence
spilling over the end of the surfaces.  Also I made a smooth faring from
my flaps to the fuselage. I would build it a bit bigger and a little differently
if I were to do it again.

I know your guys in the UK have a devil of a time making these kinds of mods to
your Europas, but us in the left side have still some latitude to "experiment".
I love building, only if my wife would let me do anothere one  :)    !

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555