Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:36:26

On Tuesday, November 29, 2005, at 06:38 AM, TELEDYNMCS@aol.com wrote:

>> Stopping the pressure equalization between the
>> upper and lower surfaces of the wings and stab, plus the left and
>> right side of
>> the rudder has been shown to significantly improve sailplane
>> performance.
>> It's puzzling to me that more Europaphiles aren't using these
>> techniques.
>>
>> John Lawton

John,

Can you describe the nature of the gap seals you allude to?
With regard to flap seals, would they be on the top, underside, or on
both wing surfaces?
If on the underside, are you suggesting a closure strip attached to the
wing and tight to the underside of the flap which would flex and slide
along the flap surface when the flaps are lowered?
Would such a strip be taped to the wing, or glued, with the forward
edge faired into the wing surface to mitigate any bump caused by the
thickness off the gap seal strip?
What material would you propose to use for such seals?

Any thoughts on Glenn Crowder's inquiry regarding negative flap
settings?

Fred
A194