Re: Europa-List: Hey Guys...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Hey Guys...
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:50:49

I found a 9+ mph speed increase from fitting spats to 500x5 wheels on my TD.
I got a further 10 mph from leg fairings, but in this instance you have to
bear in mind that the rectangular section gearleg provides about 50 sq. ins
of flat plate area; whereas the tri-gear legs present an elliptical section
to the relative airflow.

Further, the low point of application of undercarriage drag means that an
equal and opposite moment has to be provided by the tailplane, creating more
trim drag. So the effect of the fairings was a win-win benefit.

Have not found anything like as much gain in any other single area of drag
reduction.

Duncan McF.