Re: Europa-List: Fwf Prices

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fwf Prices
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:32:05

Hi William and Kingsley

The Rotax engines are fitted with Bing constant vacuum carburettors.
On these, the throttle slide and fuel control needle are not connected to
the throttle cable (like the majority of motorcycle carbs except BMWs), but
suspended under a rubber diaphragm - which is fed from a small venturi into
the choke mouth.
The position of the throttle slide is therefore controlled by the volume and
speed of the air passing over the venturi.

The throttle cable only operates a butterfly valve in behind the throttle
slide. Open the butterfly, more air is allowed to pass and the throttle
slide rises, lifting the tapered fuel control needle and allowing more fuel
in proportion to the volume of air passing through the carb.

The benefit for aviation applications is that as the density of air drops
(when you go up) so the volume of air passing over the venturi will begin to
drop and the slide will drop - automatically lowering the fuel control
needle. It doesn't "lean" the mixture as such - but attempts to keep the
correct stoiometric fuel/air ratio.
By operation, this is altitude compensating, but will also compensate for
anything else that might reduce the air density - like hot or moist air.
Those trained to "lean off" as you fly through cloud really need do no more
than "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" as we are so often invited to
do!

Apologies for the diversion, I'll let you all get back to squabbling over
engine choice now while I slip back into "lurk" mode ;-)

Nigel