RE: Europa-List: Fwf Prices

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fwf Prices
From: terrys@cisco.com
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:51:26

HI Paul,

I have also heard that the carbs on the 912/912S are altitude
compensating.  I have also heard from others that they are not.  Our
experience is that they do not fully compensate for altitude.  As we
climb we increase the throttle position to maintain 5.3 gph (75% power
at sea level?), yet manifold pressure continues to decrease at these
higher altitudes (this is all at constant RPM, of course).  Given that
we use the throttle to maintain 5.3 gph as we climb to higher altitudes,
our cruise speed (TAS) holds fairly constant at about 139 knots (on a
cooler day, less on hotter days).  If the carbs were leaning correctly,
we should see an increase in cruise speed (at constant FF), and we
don't.

I suppose a good test would be to use the throttle to maintain constant
MP, lower and higher altitudes, and note the difference in fuel flow.
Something to keep in mind, for the next flight with nothing else to do.

Regards,
Terry