Re: Europa-List: 914 Stuck Wastegate

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Stuck Wastegate
From: Matthew Carpenter <europaxs@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:03:16

We had the same problem back a few months ago...

Details of that would happen:
On run up I noticed that my MP was higher at 25% then normal.
At 110% the MP would climb over the recommended.. and the engine would
begin to cut out from lack of fuel.

What we found is that the shaft that connects the wastegate to the cable
would stick.  When we turned the engine computer on, the waste gate
servo would cycle, but the cable just bowed out.  We used some "Mouse
Milk" and it would fix the problem for 3 - 4 hours, but would burn off.
AvGas is the problem here and does build up over time.  We use TCP now..

Finally after talking with Rotax, we took the muffler off and had access
to the back of the waste gate.  We then used a solvent that removed all
the Lead, Mouse Milk, and anything else on there.  Rotax recommends that
it be dry on that shaft.  So far we have flown 15+ hours with not a problem.

BUT!  When I do my walk around before each flight, I turn on the master
switch and make sure that the lights do not come on, then I repower it
on and quickly duck around the front and watch the waste gate lever
actually move.  That proves to me that its working!

Matt Carpenter
A138
N138WJ
Amarillo TX