Europa-List: Let talk about Fuselage Gaps! <Flame Extinguisher>

Subject: Europa-List: Let talk about Fuselage Gaps! <Flame Extinguisher>
From: EuropaXSA276@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:22:05

Lets take a deep breath and get back to building.

I have a question about the way my top is fitting at the vertical seam in the
tail area.

 I have an 8 to10 mm gap at the vertical line joggles on the tail section.
The flange on the bottom half of the fuselage will be only 13 mm wide where the

top bonds in this area. < Probably should have cut the bottom flange wider at
this point but did not as it was many chapters before this issue came up>
The top is properly seated at the firewall making sure there are no bumps or
mold marks to keep it too far forward.

I originally used ratchet straps to close this gap. It helps but the bottom
half of the fuselage tends to bow a bit.

I have noted this same problem on one or two other airframes. Is this normal?

  What is the fix?

Should I fill the gap and do a lay-up on the outside of this area for
strength? If so how many plies and size?

Brian Skelly
Texas
Europa # A276 TriGear
See My build photos at: