Re: Europa-List: Let talk about Fuselage Gaps! <Flame Extinguisher>

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Let talk about Fuselage Gaps! <Flame Extinguisher>
From: Gerry Cole <gccole13@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:08:39
        smtp-a02.internal.boltblue.com
        version=2.60

Brian,
    I think you were referring to the gap caused by the vertical part of the
upper fuselage "zig-zag" being too far forward relative to the flange on the
bottom fuselage half. A gap of about 8mm is the norm I think - it can be
minimised by careful attention to the fit of the overlapping flanges at the
firewall.
    However I found another problem when fitting my upper fuselage (Classic
monowheel), and I almost missed the correct solution. Having fitted the
132mm spacer block to the top of the bottom fuselage zig-zag as per manual I
found that the top fuselage moulding was standing out from the bottom
moulding by almost 6mm at the top of the zig-zag. It would have required
considerable force to get it down. Just by chance I noticed that the base of
the lower fuselage flange curved up slightly (2-3mm) over the last two
inches. This was enough to push up the aft end of the top moulding slightly
which caused the moulding to bulge out significantly at the top of the
zig-zig - you can see the effect by lifting the aft end of the top moulding
by hand. Sanding a small amount off the last two inches of the top moulding
flange allowed the top moulding to sit down perfectly at the top of the
zig-zag.
Gerry Cole (4750 hours in the workshop and still building)