Europa-List: Transponder antenna

Subject: Europa-List: Transponder antenna
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:46:14

Hi Paul,

FWIW, I have a Bob Archer transponder antenna. It is mounted at the
fuselage split line behind the bulkhead on the passenger side and it
does not need a ground plane. It works fine.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, 396 hours
Mooresville, North Carolina

From: "M@nsfield" <nsfield@screaming.net>

Planning what transponder antenna to fit and where... I want to avoid putting it
exposed under the belly.
My likely choice is a Microair T2000 and I would like not to have to spring for
a Bob Archer ($$$), but am told that the stub antenna must (should?) be mounted
externally.
I've read everything I can in the archives, and asked the UK supplier of the
Microair,
and still get several different answers.
Jim Nelson wrote on 20 Jan 2004 "I mounted mine in the back on the pilots side.
I mounted it vertical on three wooden rods which were reduxed to the fuselage.
Ran the coax up the pilots side just under the door jamb and on to the
transponder.
Seems to work fine.  No interferance or noised noted."
This seems the logical answer, is this the stub (2.5"?) antenna & can you
elaborate
on the 3 wooden rod mount, please Jim?
Anybody know why I shouldn't mount the stub antenna internally (glass is
transparent,
isn't it?) behind the baggage bay, without being too far from the xpdr
unit and without degrading the signal significantly?
Any other helpful, cheap, suggestions, please?
Paul M Mono XS 383 CM etc in, top on next