Europa-List: Transponder Antenna

Subject: Europa-List: Transponder Antenna
From: Colin John Howard Richardson <cjh.richardson@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:39:11

The original position of my antenna on a mono wheel was mounted on the back of
the baggage bay with the lower end of the antenna about 3inches (75 cms) above
the lower fuselage .

I had serious problems with the polar diagram (ie poor operation) from 45 deg
left
of centre, through the nose to 30 deg right of centre. Caused almost certainly
by the landing gear and engine shielding the antenna.

Would suggest the best place would be on the lower surface of fuselage so that
the antenna can "see" 360 deg around  and downwards.

My transponder was the Terra unit feeding a Terra antenna.

Hope this helps.

John

Monowheel now a tri-gear.