Re: Europa-List: Gascolator access hatch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gascolator access hatch
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:36:13

> I bought G-KITZ from Redman Nichols. She's equipped
> with a gascolator. The plane has a quick access door
> below the gascolator fitted under the port hatch. It's
> easy to open the accessdoor from the port side below
> the port flap to drain the bowl. Around the accesdoor,
> fitted in the bottom of the fuselage a 1,5 cm high
> strip from glass and epoxy is glued around the window
> to avoid certain rest fuel drops could flow in the
> fuselage after draining.

> This airplane was approved by your UK-PFA organisation.
> I am sure Europa 2004 will be able to give you the data
> you need because Andy flew her many hours.

I suspect that no non-Europa PFA person saw it at all and
that all the mods on it are factory experiments, "tests of
future factory mods" under some type of "factory
exemption". G-KITZ flew from day 1 with the dual brake
master cylinder for finger brakes and the Mod (65 ?) only
came out 2 (?) years later.

So - yes the mods were signed off by a PFA inspector (Andy
or Neville) but I am sure there is no PFA documentation
associated with any of them.

As a matter of interest is there a nice hole in the
firewall to get access behind the panel ? And if so what
are its construction details and size ?

Of course this is only surmise and I may be completely
wrong :-)

Richard
G-OWWW Europa Tri-Gear, High Cross