Re: RE : Europa-List: Carb Icing

Subject: Re: RE : Europa-List: Carb Icing
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:49:17

We have had problems with hot starts on hotter days, you could smell the
gas getting boiled out of the carbs.  Starting was difficult until the
engine cooled down (we learned to watch the carb heat gauge).  Turning
off the carb heat immediately after exiting the runway helped a lot with
the hot starting.  By the time we got back to the hanger, the carb heat
would be down to nearly ambient, vs well above 50 degC if the carb heat
is left on (the carb heat gauge does not register about 50 degC).  We
normally run auto gas, which may make the problem worse because of its
lower vapor pressure/boiling temp compared to 100LL.

Terry