Re: RE : Europa-List: Carb Icing

Subject: Re: RE : Europa-List: Carb Icing
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:17:44

> Like so many others I didn't fit a tap. Thought leaving it on couldn't
> hurt anything. Does it need to be off for a hot start?
> Jeff
> A258

In very hot weather the carb will be left hot at the end of a flight. If you
are planning to start again in (say) the next 30 minutes - when the engine
is still hot - then you need to turn off the tap after landing on the first
flight to give the carb heaters a chance to cool down before shut down. Open
the tap again before take-off.

The SkyDrive instructions say that the tap is not needed in our UK temperate
climate, but in very hot environments then turning it off keeps the carbs
cooler (if necessary !) (eg the desert in the US)

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                        email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)

ums.