Re: Europa-List: Squeezing solid rivets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Squeezing solid rivets
From: MICHAEL PARKIN <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:20:27

Andrew,

The traditional way of setting rivets used these type of tools and it is the
way that I set the rivets on my aircraft.
The idea is that the setter hole takes the rivet shank and tapping the
plates to be riveted with a suitable backing tool on the head of the rivet
ensures that the plates are snug against the head of the rivet.
Maintaining a suitable tool on the head of the rivet - bucking bar or flat
punch for a flat head (countersunk) rivet or a domed tool for a pan head
rivet.  The rivet is first 'thickened' by striking with a hammer or hammer
and punch if access is tight.  Finally, if a round/dome head finish is
required use the concave recess on the rivet setter (with hammer) to form
the rivet head.
With the McMaster Carr tool.  The easy way is to put the tool vertically in
a vice, position the rivets in the bearing/bellcrank assembly, then hold the
rivet head in the concave recess and form with a hammer on the upper side.
Ensure that the rivets are a good fit in concave recess in the tool and the
overall rivet shank length is fairly critical for a good finish.
Two pairs of hands are useful.

Hope you understand my poor explanation.

regards,

Mike Parkin  (G-JULZ)