Re: Europa-List: Exhaust pipe flanges - 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust pipe flanges - 912S
From: Growzone <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:28:21

> Remember that the correct way to use the half nut as a locknut is to put
> the half nut on first   -   then the full nut  -  tighten them both up to
> required torque and then, holding the full nut from turning, back off the
> half nut to lock it against the full nut.       I've even seen
> professional
> engineers put them on the wrong way round !!
>
> The same method is used even if you are using two full nuts.

Ted,

Would really appreciate an explanation of  the reasoning behind this please.
An intellectually handicapped mind would like to know !

With the half nut on first, I can see that the load on its threads are
likely to be less but I can't even hazzard a guess as to why it matters
which nut is held firm while the other is locked up.

Regards
Kingsley