RE: Europa-List: FAA style Harness

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FAA style Harness
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:16:56

Mike Duane wrote :-
> Not flaming....I just have an opinion. Any other ideas out in the
world in
use?

Mike,

There is a Europa over here in Oz that has the shoulder straps anchored
to a fitting behind the channel in the door surround a little way down
---From the original gas strut lower attachment point position.

Graham Higgins e-mailed me last Friday advising of his misfortune and
having contemplated the inadequacy of the standard shoulder restraint
for some time now, my mind was immediately made up to find an
alternative.  Unfortunately, the aircraft aforementioned is over 1,000
km from me and it has changed hands twice.  Notwithstanding, I will
endeavour to find out who did this mod, what I can about it and if it
was 'approved' but I am hoping Andy will come to the rescue as requested
in the meantime.

Graham and his wife flew out to see me for a weekend last May and I had
the privilege of almost an hour in the air with him.  The smoothness of
his 914 /Airmaster Propeller combination was something to behold for a
piston engined aircraft and it breaks my heart to know the aircraft has
now been damaged not to mention Grahams personal injury.  By all
accounts thankfully, Graham expects a successful recovery but it was too
close for my liking and it has left a horrible feeling in my stomach.

Graham is especially mystified by the sudden surge in power and has
asked the list for input from anybody in the know.  I see there has been
little response to his actual enquiry so I am now hoping that list
members even if they don't know themselves, will sound out others in the
hope that someone can come up with a reason for Graham.

Thanks in anticipation, Cheers and Season's Greetings to all

Kingsley