Europa-List: Harness

Subject: Europa-List: Harness
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:22:38

Again.........
        Another thought to throw into the maelstrom:
[1]    The reduction of severity in spine-compression accidents appears to
hinge upon a progressive collapse of the structure. Therefore it would seem
to me that we could support a device which failed relatively slowly while
absorbing much of the impulse. Not all ideas are necessarily bad if
structural failure is implied perhaps.
[2]    There might be merit in a system which contains a swivelling arm
which raises the rear cable when tightened. The arm, if hinged below the
shoulders, would redirect the cable upward to a satisfactory angle from
below near the floor where a strong attachment point obtains. The arm would
distrort under extreme demand, but again that would absorb some of the
force. As well, this would permit some freedom of movement during the arm
movement.
Ferg
A064