Re: Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:55:25

Richard,

I'm completing a Rotax 914 airplane. We've just started the engine for the
first time last week end. We expect the first flight within the next few
weeks.
The airplane is not a Europa but an MCR 4S four seater.
We have about 200 MCRs flying here in France. They are powered by Rotax 912,
912S  and 914 and as far as I know, there are three airplanes with Jabiru
2200, and one with a 3300.

- The common opinion among builders is that the Rotax are VERY reliable and
trouble free, despite a relatively complicated setup. To date I've not heard
about a single reduction gear unit failure, even in the ultralight circles.
- The Rotax are VERY tolerant to thermal abuse.
- The Rotax engines do accept Avgas, but of course need more frequent
maintenance because of the high lead content. We performed our first run up
with Avgas.
- If I had to do it again I would elect the 912S, as the 914 is electrically
dependant and necessitates a particularly well thought electric circuit.

The Jabiru 3300 is an interesting choice but it has some drawbacks :
- To date only a handful of airplanes are flying with this engine. The
flight experience is still building up.
- The direct drive is the main weakness of the Jabirus : the RPM is high and
it is very difficult to design a propeller that is at the same time
efficient AND quiet. To date I've heard of no successful prop. Those that
are quiet are not very efficient, and the few efficient models are overly
noisy due to high tip speed.
- Jabiru doesn't approve constant speed props. The well proven MT models are
out of the question due to too high RPM.
- The performance of the Jabiru powered MCRs is slightly less impressive
than with a Rotax. This is attributed mainly to the smaller and faster
turning prop.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Gilles Thesee