Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?

Subject: Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?
From: Richard Sementilli <rsementi@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:50:56

I am down to 3 choices for an engine for my Europa.
1. Rotax 912S
2. Rotax 914
3. Jabiru 3300

I would like to get objective opinions and actual experiences from
anyone about the pro's and cons of each engine.
My first choice is the 914 because of the all around performance but
more than the huge price, I am worried about the complexity of the
engine as it relates to maintenance and overall reliability. I have
spoken to a few mechanics for Rotax but none of them have any
experience with the 914 turbo. They all say to keep it simple and go
with the 912 or the 3300. I agree but I'm willing to stretch that goal
if  feel that I could handle the burden of its complexity.
My most probable choice would be the 912S because it seems I can get
great performance (the same or better than the Jabiru 3300) with
relative ease of operation and mainenance, lighter weight, and
comparable price to the Jabiru. I've even found a mechanic that is
near (2 hours away) to my location. However, to the best of my
research, it is still a more complicated engine and drive unit than
the simple low reving Jabiru. It needs pump gas almost always, which
may not be easy to come by during cross country flights.
The Jabiru is the least expensive, most simple design, seems easier to
maintain, and is direct drive. However, it's less proven, heavier and
I can't find any repair facilities in the NY tristate area.
Am I missing any other engine possibilities that could be even a better choice?