Re: Europa-List: Additional mechanical drive for the vacuum pump

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Additional mechanical drive for the vacuum pump
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:03:16

> I have a "standard six pack" with a vacuum pump and the reason I did
this
> was because I am uncertain if I have the liberty of using
uncertified
> equipment when flying IFR.  I know that I have a lot of freedom in
what I
> can do an experimental aircraft, however I am unsure if that freedom
exists
> once I fly IFR within the system.
>
> Perhaps someone can offer an opinion.
>
> Paul

I believe you are correct, Paul.  The Part 91 rules list the familiar
bunch of stuff needed for IFR, or "FAA-approved equivalents."  So,
seems a nonapproved EFIS won't be IFR legal in a homebuilt.  It's
sort-of moot anyway even for the production mfrs like Cirrus.  An
advisory circular -- and to oversimplify a bit -- offers them a choice
of proving the unprovable, namely >100,000/1 chance of a fatal
accident.  Or prove only that the EFIS works nice (a "qualitative
assessment") if there's redundancy, such as also a mechanical
artificial horizon and certain other stuff.  I don't think the mfrs
are bothered by this, because product liability issues alone would
dictate that redundancy be provided.

Reg,
Fred F.