Re: Europa-List: Additional mechanical drive for the vacuum pump

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Additional mechanical drive for the vacuum pump
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:24:44

Rob Housman wrote:
> ...Why install one at all when there
> are much more reliable electric alternatives, especially when at
least one
> of these alternatives is actually less expensive than the cost of a
vacuum
> pump (not counting the cost of numerous replacements) and the
associated
> vacuum operated steam gauges?  Hint:
http://www.dynondevelopment.com/

I know nothing of this box, nor others, but I'm sure one can look up
in all the product liability litigation as to the chances of pump or
gyro failure.  But do any of these mfrs who sell for homebuilts only
provide such documentation too?   I seem to recall one of the
companies actually tells you that, for IFR in actual IMC, you should
have mechanical backup.  Really don't want to start a debate here, and
I favor electronic boxes, but tend to stay on the side of "reality
check."

My vacuum pump started showing clear signs of impending failure at
about 1,000 hours, which I think Airborne says is typical.  The
replacement at 700 hours is going strong, but I'll agree that if I did
any "low IFR" anymore, replacement wouldn't be too dumb.  Or a Dynon
backup?  :-)

Reg,
Fred F.