Europa-List: Honey, I Shrank the Perspex!

Subject: Europa-List: Honey, I Shrank the Perspex!
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:08:30

Hi, all --

I remembered doing a trial fit of each "Perspex" originally after kit
delivery, and I recall only modest trimming to be needed.  Now one
door's glass has shrunk up to 1/4" in some places.  Both are enough to
require rework of the rebates to provide bonding area.  They've also
shrunk mostly top/bottom, vs. fore/aft, so rework of the rebate can be
mostly at the top.

I checked the windscreen this A.M., after gathering nerve to do so,
and it has shrunk too, with probable fiberglass rework, even without
smoothing out some unsteady or (non-sober?) cutting by whichever
factory cut it .  I bought the kit all at once, and there were sticker
dates on some items in the fuse kit as old as 96-97.  So this acrylic
plastic may have seen quite a few birthdays to date, even if newer.

Has anyone encountered this?  Maybe someone with a many-year old
Europa may have observed a once nice fit of the door is now no longer
a pretty fit?

Reg,
Fred F.