Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:30:01

Hi Fred,
        Yes, all is possible but with a urethane paint, doesn't it cure
by chemical reaction rather than by evaporation of a solvent?  I used the
PPG Concept paint on mine and it seems to be acting as tho it won't leave
anytime soon.  I've used some polishing compound on it and wax and it
seems to be very tough.

Jim Nelson

writes:
> <n3eu@comcast.net>
>
> James H Nelson wrote:
> > I used a technique called wet on wet.   Applied
> > the primer (white) and about 20 minutes later applied the color
> coat.  It
> > looks great and after two years just like new.   I think it is a
> bit
> > heavy as I used my local car painter to put it on.
>
> Suggest a footnote here, for general consumption.  Wet-on-wet
> should
> only be done if the paint mfr permits it for given products.
> Otherwise, if a topcoat cures too rapidly, there's danger of
> solvent
> entrainment according to their literature, which can cause the job
> fail quickly in ugly ways.
>
> The technique has nothing to do with appearance, if that was an
> implication, and I think an amateur shooter, tending to apply
> heavier
> than a pro would dare, could get bad results.  On the positive side,
> mud-cracked or spider-webby finish in a few years will attract more
> lookers to one's plane.
>
> > Poly fiber personal say to use the primer that goes with the top
> coat you are going to use.
>
> That is interesting, based upon Tony K's exp where the waterborne
> topcoat just about fell off the airplane, in sheets, shot with
> Smooth
> Prime!  Let's see, primer on primer; use any primer made by any
> mfr;
> just get any intercoat in between our primer and their topcoat.
> :-)
>
> Reg,
> Fred

=