Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:35:29

> I already have
> applied Smooth-prime to most of my surfaces and plan to sand it with
about
> 180 gt then let the body shop use the recommended primer for the
paint
> used.

Just an observation here if weight is a concern.  A least one famous
auto paint mfr says a waterborne 2-part primer (Smooth-prime is in
that category) is OK under their topcoat products.  Solvent automotive
primers adhere in one of two ways, and the above will have to be tooth
adhesion.  Or the primer can be a solvent-type to which the top coat
will also chemically adhere.  There may no way to really know that any
topcoat over Smooth Prime will tooth adhere any differently that to an
intermediate solvent primer.

An auto body shop may have no experience with cured primers -- I do re
airplanes -- which are chemically dead for solvent topcoat adhesion,
and they may prefer to prime with such-and-such because that's what
the can of topcoat says, or play it safe using judgment I understand.
The question I think is more appropriate for tech people at the paint
mfr, if such is available and desired, especially for self-shooters
not talking to a body shop needing no technical instructions from
customers.  :-)

Reg,
Fred F.