Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re:Paint opinion
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:59:05

James H Nelson wrote:
> I used a technique called wet on wet.   Applied
> the primer (white) and about 20 minutes later applied the color
coat.  It
> looks great and after two years just like new.   I think it is a bit
> heavy as I used my local car painter to put it on.

Suggest a footnote here, for general consumption.  Wet-on-wet should
only be done if the paint mfr permits it for given products.
Otherwise, if a topcoat cures too rapidly, there's danger of solvent
entrainment according to their literature, which can cause the job to
fail quickly in ugly ways.

The technique has nothing to do with appearance, if that was an
implication, and I think an amateur shooter, tending to apply heavier
than a pro would dare, could get bad results.  On the positive side, a
mud-cracked or spider-webby finish in a few years will attract more
lookers to one's plane.

> Poly fiber personal say to use the primer that goes with the top
coat you are going to use.

That is interesting, based upon Tony K's exp where the waterborne
topcoat just about fell off the airplane, in sheets, shot with Smooth
Prime!  Let's see, primer on primer; use any primer made by any mfr;
just get any intercoat in between our primer and their topcoat.  :-)

Reg,
Fred