RE: Europa-List: Wiring query

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Wiring query
From: Simon Smith <jodel@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:59:56

Thanks for the explanation.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of M.J. Gregory

--> <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>

Simon,

A further point to note about Issue 4 of the circuit diagram is that the 30
amp slow blow fuses for both the battery and the alternator supply cable
protection are positioned on the firewall side as close as conveniently
possible to their power sources.  This gives maximum protection to the
cables leading through to the cockpit and bus bars against the possibility
of a short circuit to ground causing them to smoke.  If instead of these
fuses you have installed circuit breakers that are mounted on your panel,
then you must take particular care to ensure that you have good physical
protection for the cables leading up to them.  This applies not just to your
initial installation, but to any subsequent maintenance or modification you
may do that might affect the integrity of these cables during the life of
the aircraft.

The wiring to engage the isolator is not given a fuse or circuit breaker to
protect it because it is on the ground side of the device.  In contrast,
there is protection for the starter relay solenoid circuit because that is
supplying a positive to cause it to engage.

Regards

Mike
Europa Club Safety Officer

A common misconception is that fuses or circuit breakers protect devices.
Not so.  The protection is for the wire, or more precisely, the insulation
on the wire.  A given wire-insulation combination can carry a certain
maximum current for a specified maximum temperature increase, and circuit
protection devices are selected on this basis.

If in your example the wire is both short in length and physically protected
---From contacting anything that could make a short circuit in the event the
insulation is compromised, protection in the form of a fuse or CB is not
required.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070