Re: Europa-List: Wiring query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wiring query
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:56:37

> Hi! Simon.
> I'm not qualified to make any specific recommendations but find myself
> surprised to see that  the replies to date don't raise question about the
> isolator remaining energised.
> My experience is that :-
> a) left energised for long periods it can overheat.?
> b) It will probably "pull" 1/2 amp continious to remain energised so you
> will need a damn good battery to last between start ups.?
> Regards
> Bob Harrison G-PTAG

The whole point of the isolator is to ISOLATE !

So when the master switch is turned off the isolator should switch off. In
fact an isolator can take as much as 1 amp and with only 19 amps max
available I wouldn't and didn't use one.

I have used a "big red switch" in the main battery cable, which switches off
everything (including the starter) except the elevator trim which has its
own separate CB and runs direct from the battery.

The big red switch is as used on the inside and outside of rally cars and
has a removable "key" - a lump of red plastic. It should be mounted as close
to the battery as possible - mine is at the back of the centre console.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)