RE: Europa-List: static port problems

Subject: RE: Europa-List: static port problems
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:42:59

Dear Steve,

We originally had the static probes made from aluminium, but found that it was
difficult to avoid a burr around the small hole where the drill breaks out.  You
cannot have a chamfered edge as this will adversly affect the static reading
so conventional deburring would have to be done extremely carefully.  This
relates
into higher cost.  Doing a one-off wouldn't be a problem, of course.
We found that drilling the plastic probes left clean holes with good sharp
edges.
We are still using the same pitot static head on our demonstrator which has
several hundred hours on it and has had its fair share of manhandling.  We are
aware that the pitot static is quite a vulnerable part, so we are careful with
the port wing.  Perhaps the workshop environment is more likely to result
in damage than in the hangar, workshop or exhibition hall.

Regards
Andy