Re: Europa-List: Starter kickback

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Starter kickback
From: Europa Aircraft <europa@gate.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:23:08

Hi All & Nigel,

We investigated the starter kickback issue on the 912ULS a great deal at the US
office lately.  Basically, it is down to a number of issues.

Including the following:

1. Carbs out of balance.
2. Gearbox too loose, dog gears may need to be shimed.  Skydrive, or Lockwood
can
do this.
3. Insufficent power to the starter.  On cold days, unless you have a large
battery,
external power may be nessicary on the 912S.
4. Sprag clutch loose or warn - replace this last as it is the hardest.

The high torque starter also helps, however, with enough power you should still
be fine.

Also, carbs out of balance, a loose gearbox, or weak battery can damage the
sprag
clutch, so you may have more than one issue.

We have also found that is is helpfull to get the prop spinning fast before
pulling
the choke to prevent kickback due to flooding.

Hope that helps!!

John Hurst
Europa Aircraft
Lakeland, FL