Europa-List: Starter kickback

Subject: Europa-List: Starter kickback
From: nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:22:23

There was a thread recently about kickback during start with the 912S. This
can be quite vicious and I had it happen quite often especially on cold
starts. Apparently it can also lead to damage to the starter sprag clutch.
The problem is worse with the 912S than the 912 or the 914 due to its higher
compression ratio. It was pointed out that it happens because, with the
Rotax ignition system there is no provision for retarding the ignition during
start. With this in mind it occurred to me that the speed of ignition may
be slightly slower if the engine was started with just one ignition system
working. I have since found that I get less kickbacks when I start using
just one ignition system. It is obviously important to remember to reselect
both magnetos after engine start. This technique is only possible if you
have separate magneto and starter switches although it would be possible
to add extra wiring to short out one ignition system during start with a
key starter.

Nigel Charles

Broadband from an unbeatable 15.99!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home.html?code=SM-NL-11AM